How kitchen pollutants can negatively affect your health
My son was five years old and had always been very healthy. Then we moved out of state. Instead of the electric stove we were accustomed to cooking with, we had gas appliances. Before long, we were making routine trips to the emergency room and giving our son breathing treatments twice daily.
We couldn’t understand what would cause such a drastic change in our son’s health in such a short period. Finally, our doctor realized the problem. Our new home was older than our previous one, and the gas appliances and poor ventilation were at the root of his health problems.
Once we upgraded our appliances and installed better ventilation in our kitchen, his health greatly improved. We had our healthy and happy little boy back.
- Women who cooked three meals a day were almost three times more likely to develop lung cancer
- Women who cooked between the ages of 20 and 40 without a range hood were at a significantly higher risk for lung cancer than those who used one.
- Women who deep fried the food were at higher risk for developing lung cancer.
- Lung cancer risk increased with the number of meals cooked per day.
- A range hood could reduce the risk, but not entirely.
How to reduce the exposure to kitchen toxins
Tips on using a range hood
- Ensure it ventilates to the exterior, as otherwise, it just circulates the air within the home.
- If a range hood isn’t accessible, open a window. That can help mitigate some of the indoor pollutions.
- Make sure the range hood is the same size as your stovetop, if not bigger.
- Cooking on the back burners can help to reduce air pollution, especially if the range hood does not completely cover the front burners.
A kitchen without a range hood can lead to respiratory problems
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
- A range hood is a kitchen appliance that helps filter or removes air.
- Every kitchen should have a range hood.
- Owning a range hood can help keep your kitchen clean.
- A range hood will protect your lungs and keep your family safe.